Friday 9 October 2009

I had the pleasure and honour to spend the final day facilitating the final core day of the emerging leaders course a week ago and have wanted to share my thoughts on it, reflect on the good times, and share my experience of the day.

Where to start? Well I guess first and foremost I was amazed by people's ability to go 12 hours plus straight with a smile on their face, inquistiveness on their tongue, and self reflection and challenge etched on their brow, while all I felt was exhaustion etched all over me. I don't think I need to go into details of the day, this is rather a random collection of thoughts from the day as they have sunk in.

The 'tribe', thanks Houston, really shared their learning, and hopes for their leadership future in such an open and trusting way, as they shuffled, hopped and skipped into the circle as and when what was shared resonated with them. Even the close proximity of the exercise, as people hopped ever closer into a ball, really struck me as indicative of the group and the way they bonded and respected each other. I'm not one for huge sentimental gushings, well sometimes, but it really brought home to me what 5 months of challenging, supporting and working together can do for 40 strangers.

So what is the leader they want to become, as we asked them at the end of the day? That I look forward to finding out as they go out and take London, the UK and the world by storm, and I hope they continue to do it with a smile on their face, inquisitiveness on their tongues, and reflection and challenge etched on their brow.

No comments: